Leek & Goat Cheese Tart (serves 4)
For the pastry:
- 25g firm goats cheese (rindless)
- 110g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 25g softened vegetable fat
- 25g softened butter
For the filling:
- 625g leeks
- 175g firm goats cheese (rindless)
- 10g butter
- 3 Field Farm Eggs, beaten
- 200ml creme fraiche or double cream
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- pinch of salt and black pepper
You will need a 19cm diameter, 3cm deep, quiche tin.
Plus a baking sheet.
- Sift flour into a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Then add the lard and butter, using only your fingertips lightly rub the mixture. Once it becomes crumbly, grate the goats cheese in and add 1 tablespoon of water. Begin to mix the pastry with a knife and then finish off with your hands until you have a smooth dough that will leave the bowl clean. Wrap your pastry in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 (190c) and place the baking sheet on the centre shelf.
- Now we prepare the leeks. Remove the tough ends and slice each leek vertically down the centre. Rinse the leeks under a cold tap. Once you’ve rinsed the leeks chop them into 1cm slices.
- Next gently melt the butter in frying pan and add the leeks and a pinch of salt. Cook these gently for 10-15 minutes. Drain off the excess fluid and put to the side.
- At this point your pastry will have rested long enough. Remove it from the fridge and begin to roll it out into a circle on a lightly floured surface. Once you’ve got your pastry to your desired size place in the quiche tin and brush with the beaten egg. Bake the pastry for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the pastry is baking, crumble the goats cheese and combine it with the leeks. In a jug, mix the beaten eggs with the creme fraiche or double cream and season well.
- Once you have removed the pastry from the oven arrange the leeks and cheese all over the base and sprinkle in the spring onions. Then slowly pour in the wet mixture. Gently slide this back into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until it’s firm in the centre and it’s a lovely golden brown colour.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.